Glen Scotia 15 Year Old

@HewieReview by @Hewie

16th Apr 2020

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Another day, another dram, another review. Since I love Campbeltown (well J A Mitchell & Co) I thought it best to try the 'other' Campbeltown whisky. I tried a mini 3 pack of Glen Scotia which included their Double Cask, Victoriana, and 15 year old. I like the 15 the best so I bought a full sized bottle. Now it's nearly gone, so...

Nose: fairly soft. Old books, burnt caramel, red berries, red apple skins, inside of a camphor wood box, marmalade, a little dusty, dried ginger, astringent - grapefruit pith, some very faint earthy peat

Palate: Thin mouthfeel. Spices, vanilla sweetness, watered down caramel, baking ginger, pine needles, some red berries, oak tannins and bitterness

Finish: spices warm the mouth, residual brown sugar sweetness, dry oakiness and bitter tannins, slight funk remains

All in all it has potential but it is fairly unremarkable. Yes it has a certain Campbeltown feel but it is all quite dialed back. Give me Springbank 10 any day over this.

Related Glen Scotia reviews

6 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

A timely review, @Hewie - I recently bought a bottle of this. Seems like reviews are either glowing or pretty 'meh'; I'd put yours firmly in the latter smile

I had a sample a while back and, while it didn't grab me like some do, I liked its discreet complexity and affableness. A bit like, say, Clynelish14 in that it isn't a loud or 'big' whisky but does what it does well. It'll be interesting to see how a full bottle progreses.

@OdysseusUnbound
OdysseusUnbound commented

Nice review. The notes sound more interesting that the score would suggest. Are the flavours in your bottle subdued or “quiet”?

about one year ago 1Who liked this?

Hewie commented

@OdysseusUnbound yeah I was able to find plenty in there but it all just seems very dialed back. I'm aware that I've been drawn to the bigger, bolder whiskies lately but I can still appreciate the subtleties of something more delicate. Honestly, this felt more like 40% rather than 46%. What I do like about it is this kind of austere character. Maybe 80 is a bit too harsh but looking back at what I gave Tali 10 and Bunna 12 I'm ok with that.

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

Hewie commented

@RianC Yeah I agree with all your thoughts and comments there. It has been the bottle I grab when I fancy a dram but don't want to contemplate it too much (so don't want to waste my better bottles). Opinion definitely seems polarised on this - some place it above Springbank 10 (I'm dumbfounded).

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@Hewie I’ve been wanting to try this one for a couple of years. Ralfy gave it a pretty glowing review and our good friend @markjedi1, who is notoriously tight with the points, gave it 88 and a very positive review. I appreciate your good honest review. I might still try it sometime, at the right price, but I wonder if they have changed something recently. I agree with you on one point though: when in doubt, Springbank 10.

Hewie commented

@BlueNote I suspect this is another which must suffer from a high degree of batch variation - but worth seeking out to try. I'd gladly have provided you with a sample if that was possible smiley

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here