Springbank 14 Year Fino Cask Strength

Rich, Robust, and a finish to die for...

6 395

@KRB80Review by @KRB80

14th Jul 2017

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Fino Cask 264 Distilled in 1996

This review is from a bottle that is approximately half full and has been opened for about a year and a half. Based off of prior experience with Springbank whiskies, I have noticed that they get better and better with time in the bottle. Related to that, I find it best to be patient with each dram as well because they have a tendency to bloom and get a lot more interesting as I struggle to resist it's beckoning call. Thankfullly, the nose on each of their offerings are always delightfully multifaceted enough to keep me at bay.

Color: Radiant red amber

Nose: Butterscotch/caramel salt water taffy, brown sugar, raisins, dried figs, fuji apples, duck sauce, milk chocolate, a lingering backdrop of a red berry element. I could nose this dram all night, be highly content, and probably pick out a bit more aromas.

Palate: Creamy, fruit pudding, himalayan pink salt, orange zest, slight lemon, that characteristic Springbank "funk", savory umami.

Finish: LONG, salty, and dry...milk chocolate, freshly cracked black pepper, yeast, musty wet hay, tobacco, a certain je ne sais quoi right in the middle of the finish that completely enthralls me, and a very subtle smoke that is noticeable after everything else eventually fades away.

This is one of my, if not the, favorite single malt I have ever tasted. It is extremely unique while still retaining that Springbank signature that I have come to adore over the years. I regret not purchasing a second bottle when I had the chance. I mourn the day that I pour the final dram from this bottle.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I didn't add water due to previous experimentation leading me to the conclusion that I prefer it without. YMMV

Related Springbank reviews

3 comments

@Alexsweden
Alexsweden commented

Sounds like a winner, cherish it!

14 days ago 1Who liked this?

@Hewie
Hewie commented

A fantastic review. This is what it's all about; "a certain je ne sais quoi right in the middle of the finish that completely enthralls me" - whisky is to enjoyed and marveled over and this obviously does that for you. Make the most of what's left of your bottle.

14 days ago 2Who liked this?

@MadSingleMalt
MadSingleMalt commented

Oh cripes—this sounds so gooooood.

Thanks for the review, @KRB80! I can't wait, now, to open mine. I was thinking that maybe I'd buy something fairly extravagant for my 40th birthday next year, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just hold on to this one from my stash until then.

Musty wet hay—yes!

14 days ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here