Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 50

• Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

I don't think there's anything to say about Aberlour A'bunadh that hasn't been covered before.

The review was done in part from a sample graciously provided by @Nozinan but I also realized the 1/4 bottle I recently acquired after the dissolution of my whisky club is also from the same batch.

Nose: Sweet, Maraschino cherry, brighter than the Glendronach Cask Strength batch IV I tried against it. Slight acetone, fruitcake. It's closed up needs time to open up it adds a bit of cured ham and a bit of caraway.

Palate: Oranges, tobacco, leather, slight struck match, ginger and cloves.

Finish: Glacé fruits, vanilla cigarillos, a couple of brussel sprouts with a pinch of curry, paraffin and dark chocolate.

Insufferable Blab: There's definitely a style to A'bunadh, bright with confit fruits, tobacco, super astringent. The first sip dries your mouth and teeth. It's got a nervousness to it too, slightly brittle. The low end is pleasant especially those tobacco/leather/cherry notes but it's not the most complex thing. It's a Marshall stacks to 11 kind of thing.

Related Aberlour reviews

3 comments

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

@cricklewood Rumour was that most of those stacked Marshalls were empty shells, just there to look good on stage. sunglasses

I was never much of an A'Bunadh fanboy and haven't had any since Batch 21. I'd give it another try if the price hadn't gone stupid out here.

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

@cricklewood
cricklewood commented

@BlueNote yes indeed the extra stacks were frequently duds. I think I have a soft-spot for A'bunadh because it was formative in my early whisky journey. I used to buy a bottle every Christmas, I haven't done that in a while.

I'm just not thrilled by sherry bombs anymore, at least not so much that I want a whole bottle. Unless it's got lots of other underlying characteristics.

That said some of these A'bunadh batches can be quite stellar especially when the bottle has been open a while.

about one year ago 1Who liked this?

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

@cricklewood A'Bunadh (batch 33) played a key role in my whisky education. It was the first whisky that made me go wow. When my whisky club met 3-4 times a year (and when my range of experience and cabinet selection was more narrow) I used to finish 1 bottle in a year. Even so, trying to keep up with all the batches left me a huge backlog. Now the bottles I have open last much longer. For instance my batch 49 was opened 2.5 years ago and is almost done. The 50 was opened a year later and I still have over half left (and hasn't been poured in almost 10 months).

about one year ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here