Alberta Distillers Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye 2018 release

@NozinanReview by @Nozinan

1st Jan 2020

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

For the third time I am ringing in the New Year with a Canadian 100% rye. This year it is from Alberta Premium.

I was not around in the whisky world the last time AP released something exceptional. Thanks to @Paddockjudge I was able to taste the AP 25 and AP30. In 2018 they released a 20 YO (bottled at 42%), and a NAS cask strength bruiser at 65.1%. My B-I-L snapped up a couple in Calgary for me but then I lost my patience and ordered one from Zyn to try.

The box says that they use “the finest locally grown rye from Canada’s Heartland”, and “glacier born” water. I am not sure what that last part means.

This expression, assessed primarily in a Highland whisky glass, is reviewed in my usual manner, allowing it to settle after which I take my nosing and tasting notes, followed by the addition of a few drops of water, waiting, then nosing and tasting.

Nose: 22/25

Sweet. Spicy. Some floral and fruity notes. This is a bold, strong, rich nose. Nothing underpowered here. I get caramel and hints of vanilla as well. There is a freshness, and a dustiness to it. I wouldn’t call this overly complex. Its appeal is, in my opinion, its richness of aroma. The nose is completely muted in the Canadian Glencairn glass. Water doesn’t seem to affect the nose in the highland glass but seems to enhance it in the Canadian glass. (22.5/25)

Taste: 23/25

Hot! Hot! HOT! - On the first sip. But it subsides in the development into a butterscotch/vanilla sweetness before a slight peppery finish. The second sip explodes with flavour. WOW! Rye spice. Fruity. The back of the box suggests black current and I can agree. There’s so much there I can’t pick apart all the flavours. Incredibly rich! Water definitely makes it hotter, and it is different, but still delicious.

Finish: 22/25

The finish is tannic, peppery and medium short. It fades quite quickly leaving an astringence. Very nice finish.

Balance: 23/25

The nose gives a hint of the palate and the palate delivers.

Score: Neat - 90/100 With Water: 90.5/100

Interestingly, warming the glass (Ashok Manoeuvre) brings out even more flavour and brings the score up to a 91-92.

This is powerful rye. This is excellent rye. I’m glad I have a couple of spares.

Related Alberta Distillers reviews

3 comments

@paddockjudge
paddockjudge commented

Great review for a great whisky!

3 months ago 1Who liked this?

@BlueNote
BlueNote commented

Tasting this one for the first time, after ignoring Canadian whisky for decades, was reminiscent of the day I tasted Ardbeg 10 after ignoring peated single malt for years. Suddenly I got it. Nice review. Thanks.

3 months ago 3Who liked this?

@JasonHambrey
JasonHambrey commented

Good whisky. I find it a bit too much candied fruit/jujubes to merit scores in the 90s - a bit preferential, perhaps. It's a reason I don't love CC100% rye.

But, I still love this whisky and I think it's fantastic. I'll need to try to Ashok manouvre….I wonder if he developed that because he realized the same whisky tastes better in India than in Canada!

"Glacier born" - city water, perhaps? I don't actually know, but that's what I've assumed

2 months ago 2Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here