Dalmore 12 Year Old

0 376

@MatthieuReview by @Matthieu

22nd Dec 2014

• Nose
  • Taste
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Review based on a bottle opened over a year ago, and about 3/4 full. Drunk straight.

Nose: Definitely sweet, cookies and burnt caramel. There is an under-current of red fruits from the sherry input. It's quite nice. I can't remember any whisky ever smelling anything resembling this.

Taste: Pretty light, I guess that's what you get for 40% alcohol. Red fruits dominate here, as expected from a sherried scotch. It is also on the sweeter, maltier side.

Finish: That's where the Dalmore falls flat. It starts nicely, with red fruits dominating again, but they wash away pretty quickly. What is left afterwards is rather unpleasant: a metallic, sulfuric aftertaste that sticks to the tongue and mouth.

Balance: The aftertaste just spoils what would otherwise be a fine and easy drinking scotch. It is quite possible that this is a bad batch, but I can only review the whisky that is in front of me. Now, if you would excuse me, I have to get a glass of water to wash it away.

Related Dalmore reviews

Victor commented

Beautiful bottle art, nice name, but what I've tasted of Dalmore 12 would not make me want to buy a bottle of it, either. Thanks for your review.

Taco commented

I had a bottle a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. The 15 is a definite improvement and a regular buy for me, but more expensive. The Glenfarclas 12 was much better and the Aberlour 12 was also better, if you are looking for a similarly priced sherried scotch.

Taco commented

Actually, the best buy for sherried whisky is the Glenfarclas 105. It costs about 50% more, but has a 50% higher ABV. Just pour a half dram and add the same amount of water and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Really good stuff! It really needs to be highly diluted though. It also improves greatly with air. I left a nearly empty bottle in the back of my cabinet for a year. I thought it would have gone flat, but instead it was wonderful. Also, see Ralfy's recent review of it. He hits it on the head.

3 years ago 0

You must be signed-in to comment here