Longrow 14 Year Old 2003 Sherry Cask Matured

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

10th Jan 2019

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Longrow is the heavily peated version of Springbank. The one I try today is the new 14 year old on refill oloroso. 9.000 bottles were produced. If you want one, it will set you back some 100 EUR. I have only just poured it and already the room fills out with a wonderul aroma. Dark and sweet, but very dirty from the peat. Some sulphur as well, but not so much that it is off-putting. Bacon around a dade, salted caramel and cherries. Spicy oak. Becomes somewhat sweet and sour. Some coffee grounds and chocolate, but also green notes as if from rosemary or dill. Nice smokiness, but less intense than expected. Do not leave it in the glass for too long though, because then it evolves towards wilted flowers and vase water. The sulphur, unfortunately, becomes quite big after about ten minutes. The body is fine, almost creamy. Very peppery and powerful attack. The saliva glands go into overdrive. Big smoke around some dark and sweet notes (chocolate, dades, burnt bacon), but the whole turns quite salty pretty quick. Brackish water with red fruit (wtf?). It seems to work. Midpalate, it becomes bitter and even astringent. The whole remains very spicy. The finish is very long, spicy and drying. This was a very difficult whisky. One sip enchants, the other fails me. Goes up and down from sweet to sour to salt to umami. At the death, luckily, there is a note of dark chocolate with cream filling.

Related Longrow reviews

6 comments

@MadSingleMalt
MadSingleMalt commented

Vase water!!!

10 months ago 2Who liked this?

@RianC
RianC commented

Like em or not Springbanks can never be called dull smile

10 months ago 1Who liked this?

@casualtorture
casualtorture commented

I have decided I really enjoy peated whisky aged in a sherry cask, from what I have had anyway. Maybe I can find this in Tennessee....oh wait, no I won't.

10 months ago 0

@casualtorture
casualtorture commented

@Nozinan I own one from a newish batch right now and have tasted from 4 or 5 batches. I love it.

10 months ago 0

@KRB80
KRB80 commented

This Longrow 14 release has been pretty polarizing. A lot of ppl claim it to be dirty AF (not a bad thing) and a sulphur bomb (bad thing). When it comes around this area, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it unless a friend grabs one and I can try it first.

10 months ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here