Average score from 2 reviews and 2 ratings 90

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@Maltmaniacmate
Port Dundas 20 Year Old Special Releases bottled 2011

My first scotch grain whisky. Since I've never been much of a blend kind of guy, I thought I was about to discover the reason behind my usual dislike for blends. But my oh my was I in for a surprise!

The nose is a full on rum-bourbon explosion. Sweet rum notes mixed with bourbon spiciness, maybe even rye whiskey? Rye with a question mark since I don't have any experience with rye so far, but if rye is anywhere near this, you'll see me go rye-nanas in that department soon! What do you say @Victor? Is this what rye is like?

On the nose as well as the palate I get spices, oak, cloves, cinnamon. In a blind tasting you could fool me if you told me I was drinking rum. This is sweet, robust and slightly metallic like a good well aged rum. With water added it's smooth and I'm taken right down to some hot plantation south of the equator.

The finish is long and peppery. This tasting is from a sample and my only concern with this would be that if I bought a bottle I would get tired of the sweetness in the long run (which is why I've always preferred whisky/whiskey to rum).

So even though I'm giving this a high score, I know why I still prefer scotch single malt to grain whisky. The sweetness is very intriguing but you can easily get too much of it...

n

from a purchased sample

Nose: Now that's rich sherry. Honey, caramel stewed with syrupy dates, chocolate, wood, and red jammy strawberries. Vanilla, cake frosting, cinnamon, and other sweet brown baking spices emerge with time. Spice came and rum. Really delicious. Actually, I could even mistake this for a lighter, but not overly sweet, demerara rum.

Palate: Thick and pretty much everything that was on the nose. Bitter, grainy coffee, too, with everything else. A little more wood. Oily/syrupy. Ginger, pepper, baking spices, caramel, and more of that demerara rum with vanilla. Really enjoying this.

Finish: Really great length and it merges everything in a really superb combo. Sweet, delicious bitterness, spice, rum, and both sherry and bourbon barrels come out. Shows just how great grain and sherry can come together. I'm totally on board with this. A-

Distillery was cut from the name -- this is Port Dundas