Ardbeg Corryvreckan

@markjedi1Review by @markjedi1

10th May 2020

• Nose
    ~
  • Taste
    ~
  • Finish
  • Balance
  • Overall

Show rating data charts

Distribution of ratings for this: brand user

Last time I sipped Corryvreckan was summer 2010. That comes as a surprise (well, to me at least) as it is my second favorite Ardbeg trumped only by the Uigeadail. It is named after a dangerous whirlpool north of the island Islay and matured on French wine casks. Every batch is bottled at 57.1% ABV. The nose offers the classic Ardbeg traits, but with a twist. Powerful, peaty, maritime, but the twist is in the fact that it also offers orange marmalade, oysters, bacon on the barbecue, a hinit of mango and lots of lime juice. This is a veritable battle of sweet versus salt, without there having a clear victor. I think it’s delicious. Despite the high ABV, it does not need water. Initially you get a good alcoholic kick to the teeth, but that is immediately softened by sweet notes of red fruit and grapefruit. Then the maritime notes kick in to restore order, while the smoke develops as to threaten to make the fire alarm go off. Mightily good. The very long, dark and sweet, smoky and spicy finish makes me smile and reminisce. Note to self: get another bottle of this Ardbeg right now. It’s way to good to go without. Thanks, Pat!

Related Ardbeg reviews

5 comments

@RianC
RianC commented

@markjedi1 - Nice review. Ardbeg get some stick for their prices sometimes but the 10, Oogy and this are all pretty well priced for what they are. Modern classics? Why not?!

2 months ago 2Who liked this?

@Nozinan
Nozinan commented

I tried Corry for the first time a bit over a year ago. Not having had them side by side I can't say whether I prefer it to Uigeadail, but I CAN say it is a powerful whisky.

2 months ago 3Who liked this?

@casualtorture
casualtorture commented

I've only had the 10 and the Oogie, I really need to try this one.

2 months ago 3Who liked this?

@MadSingleMalt
MadSingleMalt commented

@casualtorture, it's the best Ardbeg I've had, and I've had my share.

Now, this is coming from a guy who likes his peaters fierce and unstoppable.

2 months ago 1Who liked this?

You must be signed-in to comment here