Average score from 2 reviews and 4 ratings 85

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@Aulay
Glendronach Peated

Despite being a huge GlenDronach fan I am inclined to agree with Markjedi that it is good but not great. At the same time, I do have those moments where I really crave an "in between" with light to medium smoke with some sweetness/fruit. When I first tried it in Glasgow (at The Pot Still), I kind of thought of this as "Highland Park-ish". But after buying this at home I find it a might peatier than I recall. Nonetheless, I do kind of like it. It's young and raw, but sweet and and an interesting change/difference. This has a honeyed sweetness like a Bourbon influence should be with only a very subtle sherry influence (esp. for a GD). As a Highland SM, this is pretty good. As a GlenDronach.., I'm sure the sherry bombers are not pleased. I will say try it if you like a different palate. If I had to label it.. I would say Balblair meets Talisker. You do not have to be a GD fan to like this one. In fact, non GD fans may be the one's who appreciate it the most..?

@markjedi1

BenRiach already has quite a few peated expressions and a few years ago there was a Glenglassaugh Torfa. So it comes as no surprise that Billy Walker and his team decided to release a peated version of GlenDronach. This distillery is best known for their sherry matured whisky, but this young GlenDronach matured on bourbon casks and then got a finish on both Oloroso and PX sherry casks. The spirit was lightly peated to 25ppm.

Well, there is hardly any peat on the nose, to be honest. Surely, there is a very mild smokiness, but really very little. Less than in the Glenglassaugh Torfa, for example. I do get a lot of white fruit, mocha and sultanas and a nice helping of honey. This is all fine and good, but far from exciting.

It is nicely creamy and round and honeysweet on pastry, roasted nuts, frosties and something milky. Some nettles in the background. Some pineapple on the barbecue. Again, all fine and good.

The finish remains sweet with a bit of woodsmoke, but is rather short.

Light, sweet smoke – that is how you could describe this GlenDronach. But when I think of GlenDronach, I expect much more. Around 40 EUR.

Popular GlenDronach whiskies