Average score from 6 reviews and 6 ratings 89

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@MuddyFunster
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie Scottish Barley

So this bottle has been open about 9 months.

Colour is very light clear amber. One of the lightest whiskys I've rated.

Nose is stunning. There's a lot of peat and tar, but it's got a massive clean crisp fruity character. Tinned pineapple, lemon citrus, some light sherry, unmalted barley. It's got the fruit profile of a young Irish pot still whiskey. That clean crisp steely tinned/tropical fruit character, light sherry. But then layered nicely on top is the barley grain and peat. There's a lightness to this which is wonderful. I was expecting heavy oily barley and cloying peat, but the aromas dance around the senses. After a few minutes the aromas build and the barley becomes a little heavier and more dominant. A little thicker.

On the taste it's something quite different. Peat and tar hits first, coal dust, but then that gives way eventually to spice on the palate. This lingers on the palate for a while, but then it's lemon citrus, light unmalted barley grain, vaguest hint of the pineapple fruit starting to build a little at the back. Am I getting some light sherry in there ever so slightly or just imagining it.

This has several dimensions working within it. Things I wouldn't expect to work together, but they are. Quite heavy peat with light delicate fruit and a big hit of spice.

Finish is pretty big and long. Peat lingers throughout, coal dust, fresh cut oak, slight light fruit sweetness, spice fades. Lemon and apple and pineapple alongside the coal dust.

Complex and utterly magnificent whisky, with it's different elements working in harmony. Stunning NAS.

Damn! I passed on the Port Charlotte in favour of the cheaper, unpeated Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Scottish Barley, and now the PC is no longer available here. You've made me regret that decision, I'll grab one next time I see it. Nice review, thanks.

Yes, this is for the Heavily Peated version.

@vrudy6

I saw this at the local liquor store for $45. Compared to other stores it was a great bargain, so I jumped on it.

The whisky has been decanted for three days and the bottle opened for two weeks. At 50% abv I drink this with a full tablespoon of water.

Nose: Fresh, buttery barley, floral, light spice, light caramel, honey, musky, slight bubble gum. Even though the bottle suggests that it's unpeated I can smell traces of peat. Dusty: kind of like uncooked rice.Wax.

Palate: Spice at the forefront, deep sweetness with bitter notes afloat the dense Scottish barley. Slight toffee notes appear then dissipates almost immediately. Effervescent. Tons of vanilla, touch of honey, sweet and sour.

Finish: Medium to long. Musky honey, macadamias, vanilla, sweet and sour once more.

I've often heard of the unpeated Laddies to still have peated notes in their spirits. In one of my sessions, I had a left over dram of Glenlivet to then shift to this Scottish Barley, and bingo, there was peat all over it. When drank by itself its hardly noticeable, but when starting with a speyside non-peated to then continue with the Scottish Barley, it is greatly noticeable.

I'm liking this one more as time goes by. I've had it for about 3 months and I am halfway through it. Didn't think much of it at first, but it seems to be improving with some air time. I'll have to see if I can find those peaty notes. Nice review, thanks.

@PMessinger

Warm slow oily thick mouth coating creamy vegetal arrival steady rich spicy middle develops a iodine and sweet malt long slow finish.

This is an awesome dram the yellow & white fruits combine well with the Islay grown barley. Very balanced and enjoyable without real complex base structure. Would be a good dram for folks who aren't use to Islay scotches.

I enjoyed a bottle of it and it was at a good price ($55), but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I really preferred the Laddie Ten, but can't get it anymore. Bruichladdich really screwed up dropping that. If you don't have stock for a 10 YO, what the hell are you doing.

@Victor

Bruichladdich Scottish Barley has no age statement, was matured exclusively in bourbon barrels, and is unpeated. Bottle code: 12 02 14. The reviewed bottle was opened 3 days ago

Nose: Barley. What else? This barley manifests as 'grain' more so than as 'grass'. The whisky shows mostly apple and pear flavours. The wood influence is almost unnoticeable. Quality of the barley manifest? Neither the best nor the worst

Taste: the barley manifests in the mouth as mostly medium and bass pitches. Barley grain, apple and pear remain the dominant themes. At 50% abv, the intensity of the flavours is most righteous. I would have enjoyed some higher pitches included as well, for balance. Unlike The Laddie Ten, there is in Bruichladdich Scottish Barley no taste of peat evident from the water used for making the whisky. This is truly unpeated whisky

Finish: stays very strong for a long time. There is a flavour of burnt brown sugar mingled with the barley at the end

Balance: if you like the taste of barley, in and of itself, then you will like Bruichladdich Scottish Barley. If you don't like the taste of barley, or don't find it enough to carry a whisky, then you will not think much of Bruichladdich Scottish Barley. As barley goes, this is pretty good barley, but not the best. I've liked the barley better on what I've had of The Laddie Ten than I do here. If I had my "druthers", I'd have a few more high pitches from the barley to balance Bruichladdich Scottish Barley out than I have in this bottle of it. Maybe in another batch

Another comprehensive and insightful review, @Victor. I have viewed Bruichladdich's revised core range with some suspicion as to whether it will be able to hold its own against the Laddies Ten/Sixteen/Twenty-two. I cannot say that your review has helped much to alleviate my concerns.

@PMessinger
@tjb

Bruichladdich keep churning out some real quality malts and their standard range are still solid options. This is NAS but the tin looks identical to The Laddie TEN. In fact, I have a bottle of the Laddie 10 and so can assure fans of the 10 that this is very similar. This is unpeated.

It sparkles in the glass like a jewelled Chardonnay.

The nose gives honey, floral, apples and vanilla. It is a pleasant and interesting nose.

In the mouth feel is smooth, malty, sweet apples, vanilla, fresh and clean.

The finish is slightly spices, sweet honey. There is a lingering sense of saline but overall pleasant, fruity, fresh.

Verdict... I like it. I rate this right up there with the Laddie TEN and whilst this is bigger at 50% the Laddie is ever so slightly better.

Ok - dumb question here...

So what is up with Bruichladdich?

It seems as though many of their whisky's have become unavailable; I believe it has something to do with their mash tun, or production having to be brought up to modern standards; I'm not entirely certain.

They also seem to have had a few different owners these past several years, and to top it all off - they offer a plethora of what seems to be limited production of whisky.

I'm a fan of Bruichladdich; cut my teeth on the 'Rocks', I love the Laddie 10, and I'm looking forward to the 'Organic'.

Just as they start making a name for themselves as producers of a quality spirit - they sorta go AWOL.

It's amazing how the average joe out there don't know about The Laddies. I went to a sushi restaurant here in South Beach and they had this one and the Islay Barley and they were both untouched. They were opened, but untouched.

Popular Bruichladdich whiskies