Average score from 2 reviews and 7 ratings 85

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@Megawatt
Knappogue Castle 12 Year Old

An Irish single malt, aged in bourbon casks and bottled at 40% alc/vol. without added colouring.

Nose

With a single ice cube, it exhibits a crisp, sweet aroma of green apple and cedar sawdust. A very bright and lively aroma.

Taste

Creamy, lemony sweetness greets the tongue. Then things get crisp and bittersweet in a hurry. There is a slight metallic edge, characteristic of a triple-distilled Irish. Lightly perfumed at the back of the tongue.

Finish

Somewhat bitter and woody, and of medium length. A simplistic but fitting fade.

Balance

I really like this. Fully matured, affordable, naturally pale and pleasing to the senses, this makes a great everyday malt and a good entry at the price point.

Good review; thank you. You may want to give it a try with just a few drops of water added. Let us know what you think if you do so.

@sonofwatt

After seeing a few bottles at my local LCBO I read some reviews and my interest was piqued. My first taste burned without much flavour. I gave it a few minutes to breath and added a few teaspoons of water. That really opened the flavour (much more than with other whiskey); bringing out the sweetness. Long, warm, sweet, pleasant finish.

To date, my favourite whiskey. And at $48 (CAD) an incredible value.

The bottle says it's a single malt Irish whiskey, aged 12 years; which is a departure from the traditional Knappogue Castle (pronounced NAH' pogue) style of labelling their whiskeys by vintage e.g. 1995, 1994, etc). Aged in Bourbon Oak Casks with no caramel colouring added.

@sonofwatt, I like Irish single malts, such as Michael Collins Single Malt ... so I intend to pick up a bottle of Knolppogue. Here in Michigan, it is actually available for $31.97 USD , and further more, the 1951 expression is available for a mere $1,565.44 USD.

...a mere $1565.44? That's a bit bargain basement don't you think... ;)

Popular Knappogue Castle whiskies