Average score from 5 reviews and 8 ratings 86

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@cricklewood
Longrow Peated

As it stands currently the standard line up of Longrow consist of the NAS Heavily Peated, an 18 yr old & a 21yr old.

Now this NAS version came out sometime in 2011-2012, it is said to have replaced the Longrow CV which was also NAS and purported to contain a vatting of different ages and cask types, (bourbon, refill, sherry, port & rum) as a way to show off the profile of Longrow in a price friendly package. Some have speculated that this new version is younger than its predecessor, spokesmen for Springbank claim it is essentially the same recipe with an updated package.

I haven't had the pleasure of anything but the Hazelburn CV, so will likely never know.

Nose: Mossy peat, burnt grain, damp basement. A feeling of sherry cask influence, you know that creamy, yeast & dried fruit thing. With time green fruits, gooseberry, apple, Italian Mostarda (mustard pickled fruit), a slight minty or herbal edge. Lastly a bit of dry smoke.

Palate: Sweet, sour, ginger, loads of paraffin, greasy smoke and dirt basement floor. Lemon peel, grains, mineral & gravel, a salty edge too, a touch of olive oil & vanilla frosting.

Finish: Oily & earthy, musky fruits & mineral. The oak is light and drying, there is definitely a coastal briny edge to it.

Notes: Good uncompromising stuff, I was not expecting it to be this good, it doesn't get a lot of hype like all the other versions but I honestly loved this. I would definitely consider picking up a bottle if I come across one.

@BlueNote, if my memory serves, the "Peated" is just bit brighter than than the old CV was.

@MadSingleMalt I just added it to my order.

@RianC

Surely no need for lengthy waffle here but suffice to say that this is the peated style from Springbank. This I believe, replaced the 10 a few years back and is double distilled as opposed to 2 and a 1/2 times for SB and triple for Hazelburn.

Bottles been open about a month with three quarters left. This is a 30 ml pour, neat (it doesn't benefit from water, imo), and tucked into from the off.

Nose - Salt and smoke that's more fireside embers than ash tray like and that always comforting nip of peat. Some herbal and creamy barley notes, and full, with lots of lemon pastries. Tarte au Citron, oui? There are definitely sour fruits at play here. Clean and inticing.

Taste - Lemon cheesecake covered in forest fire ashes. Lemon, lots of lemon. The smoke is earthy and mingles nicely with the sweetness. Quite sour as it develops and it's very soft for 46%.

Finish - Fairly short as you'd expect for a 7 - 9 year old whisky (far as I can tell) but smoke, some salt and light tannins stand out. Crisp.

This is my first Longrow and, like everything else from Springbank, this also impresses. The smoke reminds me more of Ardmore than anything from Islay but it suits the barley forward style nicely. It's a straightforward (elemental?) whisky but the quality is clearly there. A good 'summer' peated whisky for sure and would make a nice change from Islay peat, if that's your thing; but don't expect phenolic fireworks, the peat is more restrained and balanced than in, say, a Laphroaig.

I had a bottle of this about 3 years ago. I enjoyed it. I keep meaning to get another bottle. IIRC your description of the peat is quite accurate in that it is smoky but not particularly vegetal.

@Hewie - Funnily enough I've been making those comparisons myself and would say this leans more to Kilkerran 12 than SB 10 but with a touch more smoke and less industrial grime notes (but there is a touch of that here). I found the K12 quite peaty, actually. The lemon cheesecake note though is very reminiscent of SB10. In short, something between the two with a touch more overt smoke than either of those have.

@Wierdo - Yeah definitely none of that Iodine, sea weed style peat here but the saltyness in it does give it a coastal feel.

L

This is the apparent replacement to the C.V, which was much appreciated by all of us whisky afficionados. It was introduced over a year ago and seemed to follow in the C.V's footsteps so i grabbed me a bottle. (advise: these notes are from late 2013)

Nose: Oily raincoat on a rainy day at the harbour, or close to the coast-line. Pungent peat (maybe self evident) but almost elegant compared to the usual almost charcoal-nature of the longrow peat. Some juicy fruit under the peat: Pear, baked pear, apples (yellow), quince (distinct and unusual), kiwi fruit. Some avocado and boston pickles rounds off this interesting nose.

Palate: Medium salty peat with a big cola-toffee note as its companion make up the arrival. Apples, pears and a very slight savoury lime note. Peaty but not fiery or pepppery, but like the nose: Oily pungent peat with juicy fruits, malt-sugars and cola.

Finnish Bitter cucumber skin and lemon oil, with the pungent peat finally rescessing from the banks.

Not better than some the C.V bottlings i've tried, but this is a very worthy successor nevertheless.

If you love peat in general this is one to try as it is singular and familiar enough to appeal in "peat-terms". The "raincoat" feeling is definetely honest, you really get that feeling from this peat's pungent/damp nature. I definetely agree when it comes to Springbank, don't want to sound like a fanboy, but as much as i love the signature taste i also love their presentation as you put it. I definetely appreciated when they announced this version first for how it looked, secondly(or most importantly) the simple honesty that the recipe might be similar but that it is still a different spirit. Commendable behaviour for a producer, certainly gives them even more of my trust, and i understand the change as the C.V had, what? Four different casks as part of it's maturation?.

The rain allusions are very appealing. I'll have to get one of these someday soon.

And Springbank is to be commended for putting out a new label that replaced the CV instead of just shifting the CV recipe over time. (Duplicitous "recipe shifting" is, of course, often cited as one of the prime problem with NAS whiskies like this.)

@tjb

Longrow peated is produced at the Springbank distillery in Cambletown. It is non chill filtered, non age statement as seems to be the current trend. Thankfully no caramel is added and this is obvious as it's a very pale spirit. Springbank started Longrow in 1973 as a project to produce a peated Whisky. The first Longrow hit the shelves around 1990 and now there are several expressions. I like this one.

Nose: Salty, leather, smoke, caramel Palate: Smoke, salt, peat, oak, pepper, honey Finish: the smoke lingers for a medium long finish.

I tried it with and without a drop of water. Overall water does open it up but only add a tiny, tiny drop. I like it better neat. Not an Islay but still good work.

@Rantavahti

Apparently this is the Longrow CV in new packaging. I had no expectations, I even might have taken it with an elitist attitude. Thinking that this might not work because it's not from Islay. I'm glad that Longrow Peated proved me that I was being an idiot.

Longrow Peated was a good combination of light notes and light smoke that turns into a powerful and lasting smoke. Especially the nose was intriguing. Master of Malt put it nicely: "like a Harbourmaster's Jacket."

Longrow Peated had something "New Romantic" in it. Like I had went back in time and tasted a whisky from the past. It's hard to explain and it sounds crazy because a) I haven't tasted whisky in the past b) I can imagine whisky pretty much tastes same now as it tasted in the past.

Because of that feel and the tasting notes, this whisky was easy to assimilate to the TV series Ashes to Ashes.

Nose: Sweet, leathery and a bit salty smoke that turns into powerful trails of ashes.

Taste: Light and tough. Starts lightly with fruity notes like green grapes. Then suddenly gives you a good deal of smoke but not in a harsh way.

Finish: Salty smoke lingers very well and the lightness withdraws.

Balance: Well balanced whisky that doesn't leave you cold but isn't too smoky either. I can honestly recommend this for everyone, even for hardcore smoke diggers.

Great review -- nice vivid description. I've always thought the CV was similar to Springbank 10, with added smoke. So this is the CV under a new name? Or a new expression that replaces the CV in the Longrow range?

According to Master of Malt, this should be the CV, though the reviews are a bit different from each other... masterofmalt.com/whiskies/… masterofmalt.com/whiskies/springbank/…

Popular Longrow whiskies