Average score from 2 reviews and 2 ratings 83

• Add to cabinet
  • Add to wish list
@markjedi1
Highland Park Svein

The Warrior Series from Highland Park consists of (bar mistake on my part) six expressions: Einar, Harald, Ragnvald, Sigurd, Svein and Thorfinn. I tried the Einar last summer, but was quite underwhelmed. I wonder if this Svein does any better. Svein was quite a legendary Viking leader, known in the Orkeyinga Saga as a man of adventure and good humor. Errr… the nose is quite introvert. I get some sweet malt and acacia honey, but little else at first. Maybe some pineapple? This needs some hand warmth. Okay, some more aromas emerge now. Skins of apple, vanilla and some woodsmoke. Loads of earthy notes. But the whole is pretty quiet. Ouch, the arrival is very weak. Almost watery. Some Seville oranges, a bit zesty even, but then only some ginger, malt and a hint of smoke. Pencil shavings? This is no warrior. A bit of a letdown. Actually, not a bit, but a big letdown.

The finish is short on smoke and some oak.

It is not better than the Einar. On the contrary. This is probably one of the least interesting modern HPs I have tried so far. Thanks, Pat!

I fully agree "big let down". The ginger note is more like ginger that has dried up in the fridge crisper and gone rancid. I tried mixing it in a cocktail and the it only accentuated this off note. The bottle was a gift and so at least there is no regrets.

@Rantavahti

Highland Park Svein is a member from the Warrior Series (for travel retail) by Highland Park. Svein is one of the three newest members of the overall six. Unlike it's two brothers Harald and Einar, Svein gets its name from the hospitable and generous nature of many of the Viking leaders.

It is definitely the lighter version when compared to the other viking (Einar) of the Warrior Series. Like a young viking boy, full of barley.

That's why I decided to call Highland Park Svein the "Pathfinder". A movie, where a young viking boy is seeking his place. It might as well be Svein.

Nose: Lightly floral with bits of peat and smoke very deeply in the background. Citrus and especially barley comes through.

Taste: Sweet vanilla is the main character. Oak and barley in the back. Not as strong from the palate as Einar but stronger than Harald.

Finish: Strongly oaky, a bit floral and earthly. Spicy and lingering.

Balance: This differs quite a bit from it's brothers, though it has that similar HP deep smoke like Einar. Harald is the delicate one and Einar the strongest (of course, he's the feared viking). Svein is the runner up after Einar. Nice stuff.

That's a good question. The 40% ABV level does make a difference in this case. I'd surely take the more powerful stuff: 12YO or 18YO or some of their specialties like the vintage 2001 connosr.com/reviews/highland-park/…

I'm not sure but I think that there's not much difference in price either. I think that Svein is the only one with a bit over 40 euro litre price. Harald and Einar are more expensive which would leave 12YO even more affordable.

Still, in overall, Highland Park seems to achieve a good standard in everything they do!

Maybe..., although I remember sampling one of the HPs in Heathrow and thinking I'd better avoid getting swindled. That's part of why I ask. I don't remember whether it was the Warrior series; probably it was the "Leif Eriksson" or one that appeared around the same time. Anyway, thanks for the Einar tip!

Popular Highland Park whiskies